Memorado is intended to evaluate and improve the cognitive health of users using the app, proposing a training of their basic cognitive functions through 14 brain games with more than 420 levels.
The application has 5 main features or functions: Mentor, Games, Audios, Statistics and Settings. The first three are in a menu at the bottom of the screen and the last two are placed at the top right of the screen.
- Mentor. This is the section that is displayed each time the application starts. In it you will find three sections: New Training, Audio of the Day and Game of the Day.
- New training. Each time it starts, the app will provide a workout with five of the games you
- Audio of the day. Provides the user with an audio of the 43 available.
- Game of the day. Provides the user with a set of 14 available.
- Games. This section provides a total of 14 games divided into 6 different sections: Concentration, Memory, Speed, Reaction and Logic. The free version of the app will provide a limited number of available games.
- Audios. This section provides three meditation programs: Rest, Fantasy Stories and Sounds of Nature. These programs have a total of 41 meditation sessions that are spread out among them.
- Statistics. This section provides statistics and scores on various charts that the app has estimated after the workouts it provides are performed.
- Settings. In this section you can create a Memorado account if you want and turn on or off the sounds, music and notifications of the application. It also gives access to privacy conditions and policies along with a FAQ section.
In order to analyze and be able to carry out an evaluation of the application, a series of tests have been carried out to verify its operation. Testing has been performed on a Samsung Galaxy J7 device (Android 9 Pie) with version 2.0.8, an iPhone 6S (IOS 13.4.1) with version 7.2.2 and a Teclast tablet (Android 7.0) with version 2.0.8.
The premium version of the app has been used to perform these tests using the 7-day free trial it provides.
To be able to use the application on both devices it has been necessary to install it through the respective application stores of each operating system.
Once the application is installed, at the time it is first started, the application asks the user's gender and age, after filling in this data will ask another five questions to know what the needs of the person who will use the application are.
After answering those questions, a tutorial will begin that will also help the app to assign the first scores to the user. The first tutorial to be done is training, in which 5 of the games that are available will be made, once the training is finished, the app indicates that the target of points has been reached by unlocking a test; at this time the tutorial of the test begins, which is exactly like the previous one, the application forces the user to make five of the games, but at the end of them all is shown a screen that offers the user the score that has obtained compared to the average of the rest of the users.
In this section we will measure the ease with which the user can use the application to achieve a specific goal, in this case is that an older person can exercise his brain quickly.
The application is very easy to use, it has a simple and friendly interface, it consists of a menu at the bottom with three very simple buttons to recognize by the way its icon has, the same goes for the other two buttons that are located at the top right of the screen, so older people who want to use the app will not have any difficulty understanding how the app works.
All this makes it very hard for the user to start using the application, because every time the app starts the mentor section is displayed, so the first thing you see every time you access the app is a button highlighted in orange with the word "START". This ease in learning usage also translates to the ease of remembering how it is used if you ever uninstall the application.
As for its effectiveness, it must be said that the app is extremely effective since, it manages to reach the desired objective as soon as you start the application by forcing the user to make five of the games, in the form of an evaluation, before accessing the entire app. Further, considering that, as mentioned above, it does not require a great effort to learn how to use it can be said that the product has a high efficiency in terms of achieving mind training.
With regard to portability, Memorado works on any type of Smartphone, whether Android or iOS, also works from its website and on tablets.
Given the analysis of each of the above criteria it can be said that the product has a considerably good usability in terms of achieving the objective taking into account the use that the elderly will give it.
In this section, different criteria will be applied to assess whether the application can be used regardless of the capabilities of the user.
Cognitive accessibility – As for images and icons, only those found in the lower menu contain a description, but it is only displayed when the user is within that section. Although all the icons shown are easily recognizable without the need for the description. In addition, they are reasonably sized so that they can be properly identified. Note that the description is the same size as the button icon.
Accessibility for people with reduced vision – The app does not have a settings section where you can change the theme from light to dark. The font size cannot be changed so depending on the screen dimensions of the device being used it is possible that the words may be difficult to read, although it is possible to increase the font size in the overall settings of the device, causing it to increase in the app in turn.. To complete this accessibility section, it has been decided to do some tests with the screen reader systems available from Android and IOS devices. These tests have focused on checking the correct labeling of the icons and buttons that Memorado has. Buttons have been labeled well on all devices where the screen reader has been used, both with Android Voice Assistant and IOS Voice Over.
It should be noted that for the totality of the games it offers it is necessary to interact or identify certain visual elements such as shapes and colors, so it is possible that Memorado is inaccessible to people who are blind or with some kind of color blindness. However, this does not mean that they cannot use the app as it also provides a section of audios that can be used as meditation sessions.
Accessibility for people with hearing impairments – People with hearing difficulties, in terms of the realization and use of the games, can use the application without any problem since, although some sounds are emitted, they only serve to complement the game or exercise. As for the audio section, it is not accessible to these people as none of the sessions are subtitled.
In this section we will study whether the application is functioning correctly and has no critical failures that harm the functions of the app.
In the days that the application has been tested has not presented any outstanding or critical malfunctions in its operation.
Privacy and security
In terms of privacy and security in the settings section the application provides a section dedicated to these two points. It is also possible to access them by entering their official website.
Generally speaking, the application works properly, there has been no failure that has impaired its operation. This app can greatly contribute to people, and especially older people, staying active by training different areas of the brain.
One of the positive points of the application is that it is one of the most complete since, of the four applications that have been tested of this type, this is the only one that contains a section that provides the user with meditation sessions, so if in addition to exercising memory or mental agility you also want to exercise the mind, this is one of the best applications for it. It should be noted that meditation sessions are not as good as those of applications that are specifically designed to offer this type of service but are still quite useful.
Another positive point of the application is that you don't need to have an internet connection, either via mobile data or via WIFI, to access and perform workouts and games. However, this if necessary, to be able to perform the meditation sessions
One of the points to improve that the app has is the amount of games it contains, with a total of 14, being the application that contains the least exercises contains of the four that have been tested.
- You do not have to use an email account to use the app.
- Contains meditation programs and sessions.
- Audio sessions are available in 9 different languages.
- An internet connection is not required to access the games.
- It would be interesting if the audio sessions were subtitled for people with hearing impairments.
- It would be interesting to add in the settings section where you can change the size of the letter and the contrast of the letter with the background.
- You could study the possibility of allowing the user to download the meditation sessions that they want to be able to access them without the need for an internet connection.
- It would be interesting if the name that accompanies the icons is always displayed and not only when the feature is selected.
- It would be interesting to add a few more games.