We have tested the emergency notification button via Android SMS. This functionality is a recommended option for all people who have a current version of Samsung terminal.
This functionality allows us to send an SMS to one or several trusted contacts previously selected in case of being in an emergency situation.
To activate this functionality, simply access the menu: Settings - Advanced functions - Send SOS messages.
In this screen you can easily configure the different options related to the emergency message.
Once pressed, a message appears in the notification menu of the phone indicating that the message is being sent. This process may take a few seconds if you have included the option to attach photographs and audio from the moment of pressing.
The message is sent to the contact phone in SMS format and the attached information such as photos and audio is sent in MMS format.
NOTE: It is important to bear in mind that MMS messages related to images and audios usually have an additional cost that in some cases can be high.
After the tests performed we can highlight that it is a highly reliable functionality that has worked in all the occasions in which we have pressed the emergency button as long as mobile coverage is available.
The position is referenced by a link to google maps in the SMS itself received by the contact person. Taking into account the GPS accuracy of current models of Samsung this data is of great quality when geo locate the emergency point.
The option of being able to attach a front and back photo of the moment of the emergency can provide great information when identifying the context of the emergency to be able to act and we consider that it is especially interesting in profiles of people in a situation of vulnerability or threat.
The 5-second audio recorded at the moment of pressing the button can contribute together with the photographs to identify the context of the emergency.
- Being integrated into the operating system and not depending on any application outside the terminal, the system has great reliability and speed whenever mobile coverage is available
- It is a very valuable tool in emergency situations and useful for anyone in natural disasters, gender violence, elderly people, minors.
- The ability to activate or deactivate easily when the user requires it, as well as to configure whether or not to include images or audio in the shipment.
- Provide the possibility of sending images and audio through 3G or 4G data messages avoiding the use of higher cost MMS.
- Include the possibility of activating the emergency for people with mobility difficulties through external push buttons.