Date: November 2021.
Ciclogreen offers us a way to promote sustainable mobility. This is possible thanks to the fact that the people who are part of an entity, whether they are companies, universities or city councils, receive prizes based on the routes they take when using public transport, walking or cycling, among other options.
This dynamic allows attracting a greater number of participants since they see their effort rewarded, allowing a reduction in gas emissions that favor pollution, with an emphasis on CO2, which makes the app an interesting option to combat this problem.
In this case, we will perform the analysis of the app, version 16.18 for Android and 16.14 for iOS, in version 10.0 of the Android operating system. However, we can find it from version 4.1 of Android, and from versions 11.0 of the iOS operating system on Iphone and Ipod touch.
Next, we will proceed to the more detailed analysis.
When opening the app we will find a request to enter with a previously created account, with a Facebook account or with a Google account.
If we are not users of the app, there is the possibility of registering. We can see this in the following images:
After registering or logging in, and after accepting the terms and conditions, we will go to the main page.
In it we can find several points to highlight:
- The most notable thing is the map that integrates the application, through which, after having allowed the use of our location, it will allow us to see our location and the route that we are taking in real time.
- We can also see that it has the data of the route in question, such as the time elapsed, the pace, the distance or the cycles that we take, which are the coins that the app gives you during the route and that are exchangeable to obtain the prizes published by an entity. The data viewer can be changed, so that the map is minimized and the icons of the data in question are enlarged.
- It should be noted that the interface is quite intuitive, and makes it clear what the application is measuring, as well as the interaction options it offers, such as stopping the route, temporarily stopping it or choosing the means of transport.
- It is interesting to observe the multiple means of transport that the app takes into consideration in order to make a route, thus allowing a greater number of people to join the initiative and not feel left out. The transport options that we have are: bicycle, walking, running, electric scooter, electric bicycle, shared car, bus, train, subway and rollerblading.
Once the journey is finished, we can choose between:
- Modify: consists of changing the means by which we have transported ourselves.
- Save: the route is recorded and we will be able to access it and its statistics when entering the history.
Whenever we travel without any type of vehicle, we will be shown how many calories we burn. This feature is attractive since, together with the pace, distance and time elapsed, we can focus the app on keeping track of the physical activity we do. Thus, we can set different objectives, such as achieving so many kilometers in a certain time and check our progress in the history.
It also highlights the fact that the amount of CO2 that we save by using the corresponding means is shown, allowing us to know the mitigation of the impact on the environment that we can contribute.
When we enter the "Profile" section we will find the following:
On the page we see some statistics in general terms, and also the economic savings that we have made in total in relation to the journeys made are added.
We also observe that there is an experience bar, which will increase as we make more journeys; with bars for each day of the week, corresponding to the distance traveled or the cycles obtained on that day; and with others associated with the percentage of use of a means of transport.
These functionalities make the use of the app more interactive:
- The existence of an experience bar gives added motivation to use the app and level up.
- The bars dedicated to the days of the week allow us to see the progress throughout the week, and can incentivize us to achieve more. In the same way, displaying data globally can do the same thing.
To the above, we add the badges section, which consist of small achievements that the app itself gives you when carrying out an activity, such as registering the first journey or getting a certain number of kilometers, which can be quite striking for the people to whom they like to achieve several goals.
To all this we also add the awards section, where we can find different challenges launched by different entities, in which people can participate and compete to get the published awards. By clicking on each challenge we can see its details, such as its duration.
The competition between people is also reflected in the Ranking section, which shows the people who take the most kilometers or cycles in total, monthly or weekly.
Other features that should be highlighted:
- The app also allows you to calculate a route, setting the path, an average speed, the time it will take at that speed, the cycles that we will obtain, and what we can save in CO2 and economically. All depending on the environment in which we make the journey.
- The app promotes the shared use of one's own vehicle, allowing us to publish a route, both as a passenger and as a driver, which can be consulted by the people who fit into the route to contact us.
- The app allows the creation of groups where family or friends can be invited, and where a ranking is generated with the people who make it up.
In case of being an organization, to be able to enter the management of this in the app it is necessary to enter through the web, in the Access Organizations section. We will have to enter the corresponding email and password, and after validating the user, it will take us to the first page.Next, we can see the first page.
In it we can highlight:
- It shows how many users are registered and how many are active.
- As in the mobile application, we can consult the data related to the routes taken, however, in this case the results obtained consist of the sum of those corresponding to each user registered in the organization.
- The evolution of the previous statistics can be consulted in a time line, being able to see the data depending on the means of transport used or the totals, in the different months of the year
- It has a circular graph that shows the total results, corresponding to each means of transport.
It should be noted that these functionalities allow the entity to be aware of the progress and satisfaction of the users, in this way, when seeing that the activity of the users declines or the results are not as expected, it is possible to take measures and contribute new solutions.
Likewise, it has other sections where we can find other tools that allow the management of users, rewards and conducting surveys, which makes the analysis of the results more detailed.
- User level belonging to an organization.
Ciclogreen offers the option of registering with the organization to which we belong.
If you already have an account, it will only be necessary to enter our email, password and organization code. On the contrary, if we do not have an account, it will be necessary to create one and enter the organization code as well.
Once we have logged in, the main change that we can see is the color of the interface and the Ciclogreen logo.
However, the features offered by the app remain the same. The most remarkable thing can be found in the challenges section, in which we will find only those events published by the organization; and in the ranking, where only people belonging to the entity will appear.
The badges do not change when connecting the account with the entity, that is, the same badges are obtained whether we are connected to an organization or not.
Regarding the history, we will see that those routes carried out while the session is started with the organization, will be saved in the Commuting section, but can also be consulted in the Total section.
In case of leaving the organization, the routes that we have taken will appear in the history, and their cycles and kilometers will be valid for the ranking and the rewards published globally.
The same occurs in the opposite case, that is, those cycles and kilometers corresponding to the routes carried out outside the organization, will be computable for the ranking and for the rewards published by the entity.
This is striking since the app saves our progress whether we enter or leave an organization, that is, it values the effort by both parties.
Something important to mention also, is that the groups remain the same, regardless of whether they were created while being in an entity or not, as shown below:
We also mention that, in the car sharing functionality, the available routes encompass all users of the app and not just members of the organization.
Finally, as we mentioned before in the "Organization level" section, it is possible that the entity can create surveys that will be shown to members when starting the application, on the home screen, having to complete it or end it without send responses as follows:
As we said at the beginning, the app has a version for devices with an iOS operating system. In this case we will test the app on an iPhone 6s with software version 13.4.1. In terms of operation, on iOS it is completely the same as tested on Android. The changes that can be seen from one device to another are found in some interface detail.
As we can see below, the images on the left being those for devices with iOS and those on the right with Android:
It should be noted that Ciclogreen is not an application aimed at any particular group or groups. However, we can say that:
- The interface, in general, is not complicated to understand and has icons that make the user experience somewhat more intuitive.
- It supports the use of Voice-over and Talkback tools, making it easy for people with visual impairments to use.
- The contrast of light letters on light backgrounds can make it difficult to read the available options. The same goes for the size of the letters. This can be seen when consulting the means of transport that we have.
At the organizational level.
- The website has a simple interface in which the available sections can be perfectly differentiated.
- The design is intuitive and allows you to get to know the surroundings easily.
- While it is true that the font size cannot be adjusted, it is possible to increase the screen size so that the letters are more visible.
- Despite having a simple interface, white letters or numbers on light backgrounds can make reading somewhat difficult.
After the analysis we can specify that Ciclogreen is a quite striking app for the following reasons:
- It has different means of transport to be able to measure the route we take, and it conditions the data of the journey according to that means.
- It promotes sustainable mobility in different ways, be it through the prizes of the challenges, the badges that can be obtained, or the competition with the rest of the users.
- It allows you to calculate a route in a similar way to Google Maps, and also offers the option of sharing a vehicle, similar to Bla-bla car.
- At the organizational level, there are several tools for managing goals, challenges and members.
Points to mark.
- Various means of transportation are included.
- The fact that companies, universities or city councils can establish challenges and prizes for the people who are part of them, is quite attractive in order to get said people to participate. The same happens with the detail of the badges, since for certain actions they are obtained as a symbolic prize, which can encourage us to get all of them.
- The creation of groups encourages inviting friends or family to promote sustainable mobility, since a ranking is formed establishing healthy competition.
- The history allows us to consult all our activity carried out and shows us the statistics obtained during the journey. In case of being part of an organization, when leaving it, the routes made in the history are kept, the same happens if we enter one.
- It implements functions similar to Google maps, when establishing a route, and Bla-bla car, when allowing to share routes.
- It is possible to consult the global data of our routes graphically.
At the organization level.
- It has several tools that facilitate data analysis and challenge setting and member coordination.
Points to improve.
At user level:
- Although it is true that both Voice-over and Talkback can be used, there are some elements without a label, so the use of the app is not completely efficient for people with vision difficulties, since they are not provided with information about the button functionality. This problem is most noticeable with Voice-over.
- It would be interesting to include a transport change or add a new one along a route, since in some cases several transports are combined in one journey.
- In the car sharing option, you could add a section of opinions of the users who share the journey, or a description of the travelers and passengers.
- In each tour the calories burned are also shown, it would be interesting to include this information in the global statistics viewer. In this viewer, the query of the statistics could be implemented in weeks and months.
- The contrast of the letters and the background they are on could improve.
At the organization level
- A car sharing option could be added, but only by members of the organization.
- 0The contrast of the letters and the background they are on may improve.