Lumosity is intended to evaluate and take care of the cognitive health of users using the app, proposing a training ofbasic cognitive functions through more than 25 brain games.
The app has 5 main features or functions: Home, Games, Statistics, Analysis and More. All of them are accessible from a small horizontal menu at the bottom of the screen.
- Home. This section consists of two large buttons: "Train with the games of the day", in case the "Play today's games" button will appear; the second button will only appear if you do not have purchased the premium version that is "Know more about premium" that will provide information about the features and prices of the paid version. As for the games of the day, the app makes a selection of 3 games (5 if you have the premium version) that will help users evaluate and improve their skills.
- Games. This section provides a total of 34 games divided into 6 different sections called workspaces: Memory, Attention, Speed, Flexibility, Problem Solving and Mathematics. For each of these areas the application has a total of 34 games or exercises that it distributes between each of them. For the free version, one more area is shown that is "Today's Free Games" that allows access to three of the 34 games available.
- Statistics. This section shows the statistics and average scores of the games for each of the areas. These scores are represented by the Lumosity Performance Index (LPI) which is a standardized scale calculated from all game scores.
- Analysis. This section provides up to 8 different analyses. To be able to access them it is necessary to have the premium version of the application and have made a specific number of games to unlock them.
- More. This is the section most commonly known as options or settings, in it youcan schedule reminders that warn you when you want to receive the training, change the language, adjust the notifications and configure the account that has been linked to Lumosity.
In order to analyze and be able to carry out an evaluation of the application, a series of tests have been carried out to verify its operation. Testing was performed on a Samsung Galaxy J7 device (Android 9 Pie) with version 2020.04.15.2110316 and an iPhone 6S (IOS 13.4.1) with version
To be able to use the application on both devices it has been necessary to install it through the respective application stores of each operating system.
Once the application is installed, at the time it is first started, it indicates that it is necessary to register with an email in order to start using it; you can use any email or sign in with a Google or Facebook account. After selecting the account to be used the app will ask for some personal data, such as date of birth, gender, level of study or occupational situation,the only one that is mandatory to fill in is the date of birth.
After entering this data you wonder which areas of the brain you are most interested in working, at that time the areas mentioned above in the "Games" section will be marked. At this point you will have to do a level test that will consist of 3 of the games available, which match the free games of that day, this evaluation will serve the application to assess the cognitive level of the user and to assign a program that suits it.
In this section we will measure the ease with which the user can use the application to achieve a specific goal, in this case is that an older person can exercise their brain quickly.
The application is very easy to use, has a simple and friendly interface, it consists of a menu at the bottom with five buttons very simple to recognize, either by its icon or its description, so the older people who want to use the application will have no difficulty understanding how the app works.
All this makes it very hard for the user to start using theapp, since every day the app starts a large message is displayed on the home screen indicating that the day's training can be started. This ease in learning usage also moves to the ease of remembering how it is used if you ever uninstall the application.
As for its effectiveness, it must be said that the app is extremely effective since, it manages to reach the desired objective as soon as you start the application as it forces you to make three of the games,in theform of evaluation, before accessing the entire app. Further, considering that, as mentioned above, it does not require a great effort to learn how to use it it can be said that the product has a high efficiency in terms of achieving mind training.
With regard to portability, Lumosity works on any type of Smartphone, whether Android or iOS, and also works from its website.
Taking into account the analysis of each of the above criteria it can be said that the product has a considerably good usability in terms of achieving the objective taking into account the use that the elderly will give it.
In this section, different criteria will be applied to assess whether the application can be used regardless of the capabilities of the user.
Cognitive Accessibility – As for images and icons all of them have a description that facilitates their understanding and, in addition, they are a reasonable size so that they can be correctly identified. Note that the description is the same size as the button icon.
Accessibility for people with reduced vision – The app does not have a settings section wherea you can change the theme, but it is sent to the user's general settings for us to do so. se envía al usuario The font size cannot be changed so depending on the screen dimensions of the device being used it is possible that the words may be difficult to read, although it is possible to increase the font size in the overall settings of the device, causing it to increase in the app in turn. To complete this accessibility section it has been decided to do some tests with the screen reader systems available from Android and IOS devices. These tests have focused on checking the correct labeling of the icons and buttons available to Lumosity. Buttons have been labeled well on all devices where the screen reader has been used, both with Android Voice Assitant and IOS Voice Over.
It should be noted that for most of the games it offers it is necessary to interact or identify certain visual elements such as shapes and colors, so it is possible that Lumosity is inaccessible to people who are blind or with some kind of color blindness.
Accessibility for people with hearing impairments – People with hearing impairments can use the app without any problem as, even if some sounds are emitted, they only serve to complement the game or exercise.
In this section we will study whether the application has a correct functioning and has no critical failures that harm the functions of the app.
In the days that the application has been testing has not presented any outstanding or critical failures in its operation.
Privacy and security
Generally speaking, the application works properly, there has been no failure that has impaired its operation. This app can greatly contribute to people, and especially older people, staying active by training different areas of the brain.
One of the most positive points that this application has is that, although only three games can be accessed for free, they change every day and can tryse all of them without having to purchase the premium version. This makes it quite a strong competitor over other applications such as Cognifit, as it only provided four games of all that it had. Another highlight is that you do not need an internet connection to use it, so you do not need to be connected to a Wifi network or mobile data.
- Free games change daily.
- It is available in 7 different languages.
- Explanatory icons are the right size to facilitate viewing and understanding.
- All games have a description and a playable tutorial that explain how it works.
- It would be interesting to be able to change the contrast of the background from the application itself.
- It would be interesting if you could resize the letter from the settings section.
- You could consider leaving access to at least one of the analyses for free.
- It is possible that people