Memorado is intended to evaluate and improve the cognitive health of users who use the application, proposing a training of their basic cognitive functions through 14 brain games with more than 420 levels.
The application has 5 main features or functions: Mentor, Games, Audios, Statistics and Settings. The first three are located in a menu at the bottom of the screen and the last two are located at the top right of the screen.
- Mentor. This is the section that is displayed every time the application is started. In it you will find three sections: New training, Audio of the day and Game of the day.
- New training. Each time it is started, the application will provide a training with five of the games available.
- Audio of the day. Provides the user with an audio of the 43 available.
- Game of the day. Provides the user with a set of 14 available.
- Games. This section provides a total of 14 games divided into 6 different sections: Concentration, Memory, Speed, Reaction and Logic. The free version of the application will provide a limited number of available games.
- Audios. Three meditation programs are provided in this section: Rest, Fantasy Stories, and Nature Sounds. These programs have a total of 41 meditation sessions that are distributed among them.
- Statistics. This section offers the statistics and scores in various graphs that the application has estimated after the workouts it provides are performed.
- Settings. In this section you can create a Memorado account if you wish and activate or deactivate the sounds, music and notifications of the application. It also gives access to the privacy policies and conditions along with a section of frequently asked questions.
In order to analyze and be able to carry out an evaluation of the application, a series of tests have been carried out to verify its operation. The tests have been carried out on a Samsung Galaxy J7 device (Android 9 Pie) with version 2.0.8, an iPhone 6S (IOS 13.4.1) with version 7.2.2 and a Teclast tablet (Android 7.0) with version 2.0.8 .XNUMX.
To carry out these tests, the premium version of the application has been used through the 7-day free trial it provides.
In order to use the application on both devices, it has been necessary to install it through the respective application stores of each operating system.
Once the application is installed, at the time it is started for the first time, the application asks the user's gender and age, after filling in these data it will ask five more questions to know what the needs of the person who is going to use the app.
After answering these questions, a tutorial will begin that will also be used by the application to assign the first scores to the user. The first tutorial to be carried out is the training one, in which 5 of the available games will be performed. Once the training is finished, the app indicates that the point objective has been reached, causing a test to be unlocked; At this moment the test tutorial begins, which is exactly the same as the previous one, the application forces the user to play five of the games, but at the end of all of them a screen is displayed that offers the user the score that has been obtained compared to the previous one. average of the rest of users.
This section will measure the ease with which the user can use the application to achieve a specific goal, in this case it is that an elderly person can exercise their brain quickly.
The application is very easy to use, it has a simple and friendly interface, it consists of a menu at the bottom with three buttons that are very simple to recognize by the shape of its icon, the same happens with the other two buttons found in the upper right part of the screen, so that older people who want to use the application will not have a hard time understanding how the app works.
All this makes it very difficult for the user to start using the application, since each time the app is started the mentor section is displayed, so the first thing you see each time the application is accessed is a button highlighted in orange with the word "START". This ease of learning to use it also translates to the ease of remembering how to use it if the application is uninstalled at some point.
Regarding its effectiveness, it must be said that the app is extremely effective since, it is possible to reach the desired objective as soon as the application starts, forcing the user to perform five of the games, in evaluation form, before accessing all of them. of the app. In addition, taking into account that, as previously mentioned, it does not require a great effort to learn to use it, it can be said that the product has a high efficiency in terms of achieving training of the mind.
Regarding portability, Memorado works on any type of Smartphone, whether Android or iOS, it also works from its website and on tablets.
Given the analysis of each of the previous criteria, it can be said that the product has a considerably good usability in terms of achieving the objective, taking into account the use that the elderly will give it.
In this section, different criteria will be applied to assess whether the application can be used regardless of the capabilities of the user.
Cognitive accessibility - Regarding the images and icons, only those found in the lower menu contain a description, but it is only shown when the user is inside that section. Although all the icons shown are easily recognizable without the need for the description. In addition, they are of a reasonable size so that they can be correctly identified. It should be noted that the description is the same size as the button icon.
Accessibility for people with reduced vision - The app does not have a settings section where you can change the theme from light to dark. The size of the letter cannot be changed so depending on the size of the screen of the device being used, it is possible that the words may be difficult to read, although it is possible to increase the size of the font in the settings. general of the device, causing that in turn to increase in the app. To complete this accessibility section, it has been decided to carry out some tests with the screen reader systems that Android and IOS devices have. These tests have focused on checking the correct labeling of the icons and buttons available to Memorado. In all the devices in which the screen reader has been used, the buttons have been well labeled, both with Voice Assistant for Android and Voice Over for IOS.
It should be noted that for all the games it offers, it is necessary to interact or identify certain visual elements such as shapes and colors, so it is possible that Memorado is not very accessible for blind people or people with some type of color blindness. However, this does not mean that they cannot use the application as it also provides an audio section that can be used as meditation sessions.
Accessibility for people with hearing difficulties - People with hearing difficulties, in terms of the realization and use of the games, can use the application without any problem since, although some sounds are emitted, they only serve to complement the game or exercise. As for the audio section, it is not accessible to these people since none of the sessions is subtitled.
In this section we are going to study if the application works correctly and does not have critical faults that affect the functions of the app.
In the days that the application has been tested, it has not presented any notable or critical failure in its operation.
Privacy & Security
Regarding privacy and security, in the settings section, the application provides a section dedicated to these two points. It is also possible to access them by entering their official website.
In general terms, the application works properly, there has not been any failure that has impaired its operation. This application can greatly help people, and especially older people, stay active by training different areas of the brain.
One of the positive points of the application is that it is one of the most complete since, of the four applications that have been tested of this type, this is the only one that contains a section that provides the user with meditation sessions, so If, in addition to exercising memory or mental agility, you also want to exercise your mind, this is one of the best applications for it. It should be noted that meditation sessions are not as good as those of the applications that are specifically designed to offer this type of service, but they are still quite useful.
Another positive point of the application is that it is not necessary to have an internet connection, either via mobile data or via WiFi, to access and perform training and games. However, this is necessary to be able to carry out the meditation sessions.
One of the points for improvement in the app is the number of games it contains, with a total of 14, being the application that contains the least exercises of the four that have been tested.
- It is not mandatory to use an email account to use the application.
- Contains programs and meditation sessions.
- The audio sessions are available in 9 different languages.
- An internet connection is not required to access the games.
- It would be interesting if the audio sessions were subtitled for the hearing impaired.
- It would be interesting to add a section in the settings section where you can change the size of the font and its contrast with the background.
- The possibility of allowing the user to download the meditation sessions he wants could be studied in order to access them without the need for an internet connection.
- It would be interesting if the name that accompanies the icons is always shown and not only when the characteristic is selected.
- It would be interesting to add some more games.