Preparation and setup
The Mouse4all device is packaged in a basic design elongated cardboard package, which includes the connector and connection cable, along with the short guide:
Mouse4all box picture
The device is very light and easy to handle due to its square shape. It is pleasant and tasty to the touch with some roughness which allows us to hold it easily. It gives a first impression of being very integrated and compact.
Following the instructions in the quick guide, we proceed to connect the system. The tests have been carried out with an HTC device, Samsung and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Tablet, as well as an external button from Ablenet.
Image of Mouse4all connected to the button
In the configuration section, an options menu is offered that allows you to customize the use of the Mouse4all application functionalities:
Input mode: This section of the menu is key, since it allows configuring which peripheral is going to be used to manage the application: one or two buttons, time between presses (none / short / moderate / long / very long) or the type click (press / release / move until release)
Depending on the type of mobility and the use that you want to make on the touch device, the input mode is adjusted.
In this section you can also configure the possibility of "allowing the use of mouse4all from other apps", to take advantage of the mouse in all applications.
Menu: You can decide where the menu is positioned at the top, center or bottom within the screen, with some specific specifications about repositioning after a selection.
This section also offers one of the great potentials of the tool, offering predesigned menus of options, designed for the various profiles of potential users, with which Mouse4all itself has had the opportunity to test. There is also the possibility of designing your own and saving it for future use opportunities.
In this section we think it is important to stop and detail that 6 user menu possibilities are offered (anna, bob, chris, david, elvis and fred) that can be used for push button control. We are going to highlight only two, one of the simplest with few functionalities and another of the most complete and therefore requires more skill to handle it:
The Chris menu has seemed to us one of the most practical since with only 5 options it facilitates all the movements and selectable options. The arrow in a single horizontal and vertical direction with bounce allows to scroll through the entire screen and with the scroll in both directions. We had the possibility of improving to unify the scroll up and down with the same menu option, since some users could benefit from it.
Very optimal and functional!
The Elvis menu is one of the most complete, with 4 submenus, offering shortcuts and complementary functionalities. Some of the most useful are, for example, the Android backspace, back to the desktop or the option to turn off the screen while the push button is not being used in order to optimize the battery.
Sweep: As its name suggests, it configures the speed, from slow to very fast, and other more specific sweep parameters such as the speed of each menu option, the time before scrolling through the options, the way the mouse returns to movement. on the edges (circular or bouncing)
The combination of these sections is the key to taking advantage of the features of Mouse4all, allowing scrolling and selection through the touch device. Below we can see a video where the Mouse4all configuration process is described:
Familiarization with the device after a few test opportunities is quite simple, and the possibility of adapting the configuration to each user profile and also depending on the type of activity that is going to be carried out with the mobile terminal or Tablet, seem to us the great advantages of the device. We have been able to carry out tasks such as taking pictures, playing games, accessing Whassap, etc. in an agile and practical way. The following video shows how Mouse4all works in daily use of the mobile terminal:
Video of taking a photo
· It allows people who until now could not handle touch technology devices, to do so enjoying all its possibilities. They cover a need that had no solution until now.
· It is compatible with the main applications used on a Tablet or Android mobile device.
· The device promotes Personal Autonomy and Care for people in a situation of dependency, allowing them to access the information, leisure and knowledge offered by the Internet, as well as participate socially.
· Its small size, rough and light, facilitates its handling compared to groups with more difficulties in handling objects.
· It has a variety of very interesting application management menus, allowing it to be adapted to the person who handles it.
· The options to manage the screen: move, press, drag, scroll, as well as the physics of the device can be done with Mouse4all.
· The solution is very simple also for the family member or caregiver, simplifying the familiarization or training phase with the user.
· The company has followed some very successful steps in developing the solution, keeping the target group in mind, so the adjustments regarding the configuration possibilities are very precise.
· The menus are simple and easy to understand and the functionalities are clearly identified.
· Contact with the company has been fluid and they have provided all the information we have required for the tests.
· It is compatible with a large percentage of other complementary support products.
· The potential of being able to incorporate more predefined menus designed for different groups of users is identified, describing the advantages of each one of them. This improvement is especially for the professionals who are in charge of starting, configuring and adapting Mouse4all to each person.
· There are some menus that are suitable for push-button than for mouse and vice versa, it could be clarified.
· We have detected compatibility of Mouse4all with some support products such as those of "Accessibility" of Android or EVA Facial Mouse, we think that this is more than a point of improvement, it is a challenge, to keep the compatibility of the device updated, with the new ones support products that are emerging in the sector.