Date: February 2022
On the main page of Tleo we find 6 icons, distributed in two columns, three on each side, which have the following functionalities:
Simultaneous transcription: allows you to convert speech to text and text to speech in real time. If we press the button represented by a question mark (label 1), a guide will be shown on the screen to recognize the functionality of each icon on this screen.
How do we convert speech to text?
If we press the button represented by a microphone, the transcription starts (the icon flashes, alternating gray and red), the application is in active listening and when it detects voice it will automatically convert it to text. This text will appear in the area labeled with the number 4 and will remain there until we press the send button (label 5).
How do we convert text to speech?
If we touch the area labeled 4, we can enter text and it is necessary to press the button labeled 5 and then the icon of a speaker (label 6) so that the other user (hearing person) can hear the written text. The voice that is reproduced when pressing said icon, uses the voice synthesis that is configured in our device (for example, the Google voice synthesis engine, comes pre-installed in most Android devices), remember that you can configure the speed and the tone of the text that is read, in the accessibility menu of the device.
This screen also includes the button that allows us to access the transcript history, which is displayed ordered by date, with the most recent transcript appearing at the top. By clicking on any transcript it will be displayed on the screen. Also, if we want to delete a transcript, we just have to press the delete button and click on said transcript.
QR scanner: Thanks to this option you can scan a QR code and access a talk, class or event.
Enter chat: This option allows us to access a class or event through a password that must be entered by the user. The key must be given to your host.
Create talk: Thanks to this option, the user can create a class or event so that other people can attend and follow the talk live. To access this option, you must enter the password provided by your institution.
This option is from the premium plan, but it is visible on the main screen for all users who have downloaded the application.
Tleo has agreements with public or private organizations, schools, universities, among others, to provide its service and provide users with hearing difficulties with a tool to enjoy their classes.
Unfortunately, many universities do not have classes adapted to the needs of these students (for example, a sign language interpreter), and without a doubt, using Tleo could alleviate these deficiencies in universities.
My talks: This option allows us to access our talks whether they are created by us or those we have joined.
Profile and settings: When entering this option, the following options appear:
- Username: This option allows you to modify the username that will be visible when you enter a “chat”. By default, the username is “Username” and you can replace it using alphanumeric characters, we have not observed a character limit.
- Font size: The user can adjust the font size according to their preferences or needs. This field can take values between 10.0 and 80.0, with 10.0 being the smallest font size and 80.0 being the largest.
- Reset App: This option allows us to delete all transcripts and talks, it is necessary to press the "Confirm reset" button.
It would be interesting if the application shows a message on the screen confirming the changes made.
- About the application: access to the terms and conditions of Teleo.
The application, both in the web version and for mobile devices, did not present unexpected closing errors, but the following points were observed that we must take into account:
- On the mobile app, if you don't have an internet connection, only the "Simultaneous Transcription" option will work.
- During the tests carried out on the application, we tried the “Reset app” option, however, our transcripts were still visible in the history.
Regarding the “Simultaneous Transcription” functionality, speech recognition (speech to text), we observed that the transcription was not very accurate, some words were lost and other words were not transcribed correctly. However, the final result of the transcription was good and to give it an approximate numerical value of accuracy based on our experience, we could say that the accuracy or quality of the transcription was 85% when it was a class or conference and 95% when it was an informal chat with friends or family (shorter sentences were used).
Remember that the accuracy of the transcripts can also be affected by the quality of the microphone of our device, the intensity of the voice, the speed with which we speak or the host/teacher speaks, the way of pronouncing, the background noise, etc.
During a period of one week, we have verified that the consumption of the battery is minimal.
Versatility and compatibility
Tleo is a free access multiplatform application:
- Access through a web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Microsoft Edge, among others) from any mobile phone, tablet or computer.
- Access through the mobile application for mobile phones or tablets with Android OS version 5.0 or later.
- Access via mobile app on iPhone running iOS 10.2 or later and iPad running iPadOS 10.2 or later.
Security and privacy
According to the terms and conditions of Tleo, it is ensured that this application does not save any type of personal information on its servers, only the content of the talks that are given are saved anonymously.
Some security features observed are as follows:
- There is no way to create an account associated with the application, therefore, access to the application is without registration (there is no username or password).
- There is the “Reset App” option, which deletes all the user's transcripts.
Teleo can be used as an accessibility tool for people with reduced or no hearing.
Thanks to Tleo, people can communicate and enjoy their classes, talks or other types of events without the need for a sign language interpreter.
Within the app, the user has only the possibility to increase the font size, but we can make this app more accessible with the settings provided by the device itself. For example, if we use the mobile version, we can access the accessibility settings and activate or configure them according to our needs: invert colors, color correction, high contrast text, control with switches, among others.
Tleo is an application that promotes the inclusion of people with hearing difficulties in the classroom.
In addition, it can be used as a communication tool, translation, pedagogical tool or used in other types of educational or work situations.
Without a doubt, we have verified that this application is useful and easy to use, it has a simple and pleasant interface.
We have observed that there are different ways to make this application useful, below we will list the most interesting:
- To communicate with your family, friends, university classmates, teachers, co-workers, among others.
- To enjoy your classes, conferences, talks, tour guides, among others.
- As a subtitle tool for videos or audios without subtitles.
Although it is true, there are features that can or should be improved (for example, resetting the app), but the current limitations do not significantly affect the use of the application.
Below, we mention the main highlights and improvements that we have observed:
- It is possible to modify the size of the font.
- All transcripts and talks are saved.
- The user can access unlimited chats.
- No need to create an account.
- It is possible to use the “Simultaneous Transcription” functionality without an Internet connection.
- The information seen in the section How does it work? of the Android Play Store it is outdated and could lead to user confusion.
In addition, on that same page they provide information about a "Premium Plan", however, within the application there is no way to access more information, request or subscribe to that plan.
- The errors presented in the “Reset App” should be corrected and the communication to the user when deleting the transcripts improved (for example, showing a message on the screen that the deletion has been carried out).