ListenAll is an application that allows people with hearing difficulties to communicate with the people around them, although it can also be used by people who have handling difficulties, being able to create documents through diction.
This application has 2 main features: voice transcription and history. Both can be accessed through the main screen.
- Voice-to-text transcription. It recognizes the voice of the person or users who intervene in the conversation and passes everything it collects to text.
- History. This feature allows you to save the transcripts in addition to being able to edit and share them with friends or through social networks.
The application allows us to configure different aspects grouped into 2 sections:
- General adjustments. This section allows us to activate the intelligent transcription, that is, to activate if we want the text to be structured in paragraphs and putting punctuation marks. It also allows us to select the language of voice recognition, Spanish being the default and, finally, to select the transcription without an internet connection, which allows us to download several languages to save on the cost of data on the device when it is in use. using without Wi-Fi connection.
- Text settings. This feature allows us to change the size of the text and its font type, in addition to giving us a choice between 5 types of text and background contrast.
In the configuration we are also provided with a support section that provides us with a contact with the developers and certain information regarding the application.
In order to analyze and be able to carry out an evaluation of the application, a series of tests have been carried out to verify its correct operation. These tests will be carried out on an Android device
The first tests are related to the voice transcriptionist, which have been carried out in three different scenarios.
- Conversation in a silent environment. During the tests carried out in this environment, the application has worked well since, since there is no noise, the sound is captured correctly, however, if the people who are participating in the conversation are very far from the mobile device or sometimes even at Not too great a distance, sometimes there are words that he cannot grasp, creating a void in the transcripts.
- Conversation in a noisy environment. During the tests carried out in this environment, the application has responded in a good way, although its operation has depended a lot on the place in which it is being used and especially on the amount of background noise, which makes the transcription not be so good since it changes some words and others cannot be identified. Therefore, it is necessary to speak near the microphone of the mobile itself or use an external one, which is the most recommended, even when we are not in a noisy place.
In addition, this application has been tested with two different external microphones: one that is part of a headset that connects via cable and others that connect wirelessly via Bluetooth. In both cases the transcription has improved remarkably, however, there are still some words that it does not transcribe correctly, although it is not a very serious problem since the transcripts can be edited. In any case, the use of external microphones is highly recommended as it reduces the number of errors in transcription.
In general terms, the application works correctly, helping people with hearing difficulties to be able to carry on a conversation or so that people with a physical disability that makes it difficult for them to write on touch devices can write documents. The latter could be very useful when taking notes in a class by providing the teacher with a wireless microphone.
The strong point of this application is without any doubt being able to edit the transcripts both at the time the conversation is taking place by touching the screen in the place where the error in the transcription has been identified and after saving it in the section of record. This ability to edit conversations greatly mitigates the problems that could arise if the text were not transcribed correctly. This is the main difference that it presents compared to other transcriptionists that we have previously analyzed, such as the Android Instant Transcription.
Another very positive thing is that the application is available for both Android devices and IOS devices, and being free makes this an application to consider as a communication system.
- Possibility to choose between more than 100 languages.
- You can download the language to be transcribed so that you can use it without being connected to a Wi-Fi or data network.
- The collected transcripts can be edited.
- Is free.
- It would be interesting if the text could be entered through the keyboard.
- It would be interesting to incorporate a search engine to find the transcript that you want to consult more quickly in the history section.
- The possibility of improving the application could be explored by making it recognize when a question is asked.